Let it never be said that Masahiro Sakurai doesn’t give the people what they want. Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the latest installment in the long running Smash Bros franchise. What’s in it, you ask? Everything. Literally everything.
Nintendo devoted half of their 45 minute E3 2018 press briefing to going over the new Smash Bros in detail. So, what can fans expect? Lets hit a few of the sweeter bullet points:
– Every single character from every previous Smash Bros game is in the mix. Every character, from Smash 64 through to Smash Wii U, DLC fighters included. This makes for the largest roster of characters in the franchise’s history.
– New additions to the character roster include Inklings from Splatoon, Princess Daisy from the Super Mario series and long-time Metroid nemesis Ridley.
– A significant number of fighters (like Solid Snake for example) have received tweaks to their movesets to balance them out, or have otherwise, like Star Wolf, been totally overhauled to differentiate them from other characters.
– Large-scale 8 player battles are coming back. Congratulations to everyone who owns a television that’s 65″ or larger.
– Classic levels from as far back as the Nintendo 64 version are being rebuilt for the new edition.
– Final Smash moves have been overhauled to be faster overall, allowing you to pop them for massive damage but without forcing the fight to come to a halt for 20 seconds until completed.
Honestly, there’s so much to go over from this video. Assist trophies, levels, characters, changes, balances, Pokemon … they took 25 minutes to explain it all and they used every minute wisely. Check the whole thing out at the embed above.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate arrives December 7, 2018, exclusively on Nintendo Switch.