As reported by Collider yesterday, Patrick Stewart has been letting some details on the third Wolverine solo film slip while he’s been on the promotional trail for the new Starz TV series Blunt Talk.
Here’s what we know:
- Professor X will be making “more than an appearance” in the film.
- Though this will definitely be Stewart’s X, there’s no word if James McAvoy will be involved. Time travel is certainly a possibility in any X-Men film now, so it’s not out of the question. But as he’s a focus in Apocalypse, which is currently filming in Montreal sans Stewart, it would make sense that he wouldn’t be. But given Stewart confirmed he had recently visited the set in Montreal, there’s nothing to say there wouldn’t be a cameo from Steward either…
- Hugh Jackman has teased in the past that the comic’s “Old Man Logan” storyline would potentially be used as inspiration for the film. Stewart has now all but confirmed this is the direction they’re heading: “I’m really looking forward to Hugh Jackman getting old. You know, damn him. He looks so great!”
- “Inspiration” is key here because key characters in that storyline, like Hawkeye, are in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and wouldn’t be available to the X-Men producers.
- The Wolverine 3 will be Hugh Jackman’s final turn as the iconic character.
- James Mangold, who directed the last Wolverine film, which was partially filmed in Australia, will return to helm this production.
- Michael Green is handling the script.
The Wolverine 3 (Working Title) will see a release on 3rd March 2017.
Read more about it over on Collider.